Take a look at the newly modernised website: http://www.worldbank.org/
Main Messages World Development Report 2017
Ineffective policies can persist, while potentially effective policies are often not adopted. The World Development Report 2017: Governance and the Law explores why some policies fail to achieve desired outcomes and what makes other policies work. The main messages of the WDR 2017 are:
- Successful reforms are not just about “best practice.” To be effective, policies must guarantee credible commitment, support coordination, and promote cooperation.
- Power asymmetries can undermine policy effectiveness. The unequal distribution of power in the policy arena can lead to exclusion, capture, and clientelism.
- Change is possible. Elites, citizens, and international actors can promote change by shifting incentives, reshaping preferences and beliefs, and enhancing the contestability of the decision making process.
- Three guiding principles for rethinking governance for development are:
- Think not only about the form of institutions, but also about their functions.
- Think not only about capacity building, but also about power asymmetries.
- Think not only about the rule of law, but also about the role of law.
Download full report here.
Have you always wondered what it would be like to work for the World Bank ? For more than 50 years, the World Bank’s Young Professionals Program has been the preeminent program preparing global development leaders. If you have a passion for international development and a drive to lead, we want to hear from you. The short window of opportunity is now!
The following are the minimum requirements to be eligible for the Young Professionals Program: