Established in 2013, the Youth Summit is an annual event hosted by the World Bank Group (WBG) to engage with youth globally on the most pressing topics facing our generation. The WBG Youth Summit is an affiliate of the Youth-to-Youth (Y2Y) network, the largest volunteer organization at the WBG, which aims to inspire and empower youth within and outside the institution. The primary goals of the Youth Summit are to:
- Empower youth to explore innovative ideas to tackle development challenges
- Provide youth with the tools to build and engage in impactful projects
- Promote dialogue between youth, the WBG, and other key stakeholders globally
The theme for the 2021 Summit is Resilient Recovery for People and Planet. The economic hardship, loss of life, and global human suffering seen at an unprecedented level as a result of COVID-19 has highlighted the deficiencies in our society and ignited a call to action that is practical, inclusive, and sustainable. At the heart of the 2021 Youth Summit theme is the opportunity for a global conversation that emphasizes the role of the youth in addressing the effects of climate change and examining the measures and opportunities for a resilient recovery for people and planet.
- A people centered recovery that promotes wellbeing, encourages inclusion through job creation, skill training and equitable education while addressing gender and racial inequality, housing and healthcare accessibility, and creating opportunities for fragile nations to benefit from funding and contribute to the conversation on how to mitigate the effects of climate change.
- A planet centered recovery that focuses on reducing our carbon footprint by encouraging waste reduction through a gradual green transition to reduce the negative impact of consumerism. And emphasizes investments in sustainable infrastructural projects, enacts legislature to halt further loss of biodiversity, localizes production to shorten supply change, and incentivizes industries to advance the Sustainable Development Goals.
Join us for the live conversation on June 9 and 10
Be sure to sign up for an email reminder!